Announcing our 2023 Legislative Priorities!
We are so excited to jump into the 2023 Legislative Session! Read about our priorities below.
Democracy Done Right
We are stoked to be leading on three priorities: Statewide Democracy Voucher program for Legislative races, Updating Online Voter Registration (5208) to make it more accessible, and a Constitutional Amendment to allow 16 and 17 year old voting!
Also look out for:
- Automatic Voter Registration (SB 5112), a bill we backed last year and that is making some movement right off the bat! It had a hearing last week in the policy committee and passed out of committee.
- Even Year Elections, a bill we’re keeping an eye out for this one to return to the state house after passing it in King County this Fall!
- Cost Free College: We’re working with Communities For our Colleges to get a bill that would make community and technical colleges cost free for all!
- Free School Meals for K-12 students (HB 1238/SB 5339) No student should go hungry at school, and no kid should be in debt for food, which is why we’re supporting OSPI’s push to make all school meals free for all students!
Tax the Rich, Fund the People
- Guaranteed Basic Income Pilot Program (HB 1045), which we were proud to support last year is back with a pilot program! This program would give people experiencing poverty a monthly cash payment that’s enough to cover fair market rent in their county, because no one should struggle to stay housed.
- Wealth Tax (SB 5486 /HB 1473) Our state has the most regressive tax structure in the entire United States. This bill includes people with more than a quarter of a billion dollars in a modest wealth tax will also be coming up soon this session! (A gentle reminder that if you were trying to save up $250,000,000 and saved $100 a day it would take 6,850 years to reach a quarter billion dollars. We’re still talking about an astronomical amount of money.)
Let Youth Thrive
Look out next month to find out what our Winterns want to advocate for under our Let Youth Thrive bucket! They set the agenda here!
Check out the document below for more details.
Browse through more recents posts from the Bus
Meet our 2022 Fall Interns!
Show some love for our amazing fall interns: Salina, John, and Bailey! We're so excited by their ideas for making lasting, meaningful political change in Washington! Hello, my name is Salina (she/her) and I am a student at North Seattle College studying psychology. I...
2022 General Election Youth Endorsement Leadership League Endorsements
The Youth Endorsement Leadership League has their endorsements for the general election! Keep an eye out for these endorsed candidates and ballot issues across WA! Things to know about Ballot Measures: There are a few charter amendments and a few...
2022 Primary Youth Endorsement Leadership League Endorsements
Our Youth Endorsement Leadership League has made their first round picks! It's the most wonderful time of the year! Election season is in full swing, and we have our first round of endorsements from our Youth Endorsement Leadership League, and you heard it here first....
Welcome our 2022 Fellows!
Eliza (she/they) is from Walla Walla, in Eastern Washington! They currently attend the public Utrecht University in the Netherlands as an international bachelors student. She has found great interest in the differences in policy and activism in the US versus Europe....
Meet Our 2022 Youth Endorsement Leadership League!
We are so excited to welcome our 10 YELLers for the 2022 elections! Keep scrolling to get to know these incredible young people and what they're most excited about this election season! Ameera (she/her): I’m excited to gain more knowledge on the legislative process...
A Big Bus Farewell to our Washington Bus Education Fund President, Tim Lennon!
Hey Bus fam! It's Mehar, the Bus's newly hired Development Organizer. I had the lovely opportunity to have a conversation with Tim Lennon, our c3 Board President. Tim has been a dynamic organizer in the Bus community since the organization's beginning in 2008. He will...
Legislative Session 2022 Wrap Up
Winternship Reflections By Mehar Singh As a Wintern at the Bus, I had the opportunity to choose bills that I care about to follow this legislative session. I picked HB 2124, extending bargaining rights to legislative workers, because I believe that all workers deserve...
Bus Throwback with Tiffany Mendoza
Hi Bus fam! I recently had the pleasure of chatting with Tiffany Mendoza, one of our BFF’s who has been on the Bus since our organization’s inception back in 2008! As a fairly new member of the Bus family, I love getting to know the folks who have contributed to our...
2021 Voter Guide
The Youth Endorsement Leadership League (YELL) is a phenomenal team of young folks who came together this fall to conduct our endorsement process. The seven participants (Angee, Jesse, Jamie, Jean, Saba, Zubin, Annalisa) came together to identify key races across the...